Into The Light...Richard Rhodes Mentz (1940 - 1996)

This is not a real blog, but rather a one-time use blog to honor and remember
Richard "Dik" Rhodes Mentz. It was 10 years ago on February 17, 1996, when my father left this physical world and walked into the light. So much has changed in 10 years, but one thing that hasn't changed is that we miss him just as much today as we did the day he left us. He will forever be in our hearts, thoughts and prayers! Dad, we love and miss you so much, and look forward to the day when we see you again.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Kind Words from 10 Years Ago Still Comfort Today

Call me morbid, but I have a "memory box" that is filled with various items and sympathy cards. It's an artistic box, made of wood, tile and metal wire, which was made by the ever so talented and creative Peter James Cortopassi, who I loved deeply.

Peter died exactly three weeks after my dad died, it was devastating. I didn't intend for Peter's creation to become a "memory box" but it has. And tonight, I pulled it out and was sifting through some of the sympathy cards, reading the comforting and kind words.

And I just want to share a few with you in rememberance of my dad.

I want to thank you all of you who did send me cards. I can't tell you how much they meant to me then and still do today. Your comforting and kind words got me through some pretty dark nights. So thank you everyone. And I hope you don't mind me sharing them today. I can't share all of them, but here's just a few...

Our deepest sympathy to you all. We were
shocked to hear of your dad passing away when
we got home from Los Angeles on Saturday.
Mike O. had left a message on our answering machine,
so I called him as soon as we got home and he
informed us of what had happened.

I've known Dick since before he married your mother
when he first moved to San Jose. He worked at our
shop before he went into drafting. He was always a
hard worker, and a nice guy that's always willing to
help others with that ever familiar smile on his face.

We'll all miss him very much.

-- With Deep Regret, Richard
------------------------------------------------

It's difficult at such a time
to find the words that say
the things that one
can only hope
will comfort you today.

But may it help a bit to know
that there are near at hand
those who keep you
close in thought,
those who understand.

With deepest sympathy. If you ever
need anything or just want to talk,
please call.
-- Love, Mike O.
------------------------------------------------

I think of Heaven
as a garden where
I shall find again
those dear ones
who have made
my world.

It is with such intense sorrow
that I write this. There are no
words to describe how awful I
feel over your loss.

-- I love you forever, Trina
------------------------------------------------

If only it was possible
for words to fully say
the caring thoughts
and sympathy
this brings to you today.

Our thoughts our with you at this time.
We are so very sorry to hear about your loss.
I went through this same ordeal many years ago,
and I know the void it puts in your life.
Unfortunately, only time and memories
will eventually help to ease your loss.
May God help lessen your burden.


-- Love, auntie Barbara and Grant (my cousin)
------------------------------------------------

Love lives on forever
in each memory and thought
Of the special ones
who meant so much
and the happiness they brought.

Love lives on forever
it will never fade away
For, in our hearts,
our loved ones
are with us every day.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
We are so sorry for your loss.

-- Sincerely, The Cole Family

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that was tough to read auntie miiko...i miss my grandpa so much!!! i think about him all the time...he will forever be in my heart...i love you grandpa!

--kimi

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home